Powered by Blogger.

Processor – 9/10
A lot of people have been somewhat worried that the overall speed and performance of the Treo Pro might somehow be compromised because it runs Windows Mobile but thankfully this is absolutely not the case.

As many other reviewers are already reporting, the Treo Pro may in fact very well be one of the fastest Windows Mobile smartphones on the market today. The combination of WM 6.1 and the powerful 400MHz processor have now helped to significantly improve the mobile experience and I have found no serious speed limits – not all applications may load in a flash but you’re certainly not kept waiting more than a couple of seconds either.
Platform – 8.5/10
Additionally, as I’ve grown to better understand the workings of Windows Mobile in general and this Treo Pro smartphone in particular the speed with which I now manage to perform repetitive tasks using either software or harware features has steadily improved. Since I can get frustrated rather quickly if things don’t work well, the most important thing for me has been the fact that throughout my interactions with the Treo Pro I have not found a barrier that I couldn’t quickly jump over.

It’s a fact that any new device takes a little while to get used to and the Treo Pro is no exception. As I mentioned yesterday, although the Windows Mobile 6.1 operating system is not perfect I have to admit that it’s improved significantly and I’ve now almost completely overlooked any limitations (primarily in the area of usability) for the simple reason that the hardware design and specifications of the Treo Pro are so good.

Wireless Data (3G HSDPA, 2G EDGE, GPRS) – 9.5/10
While the Treo Pro is undoubtedly fast its 3G wireless data capabilities are even faster and very powerful. Thanks to very good HSDPA coverage in my area I have been able to quickly download emails, install large software files over the air, listen to streaming audio and video with Kinoma Play for example and perhaps even more importantly load web pages in a snap using multiple web browsers such as Internet Explorer Mobile and the powerful latest Opera 9.51 beta or Skyfire.

As I commented yesterday, wireless data connectivity on the Treo Pro is so good and fast that I don’t even bother to look for mobile-optimized web pages any more as full standard web pages not only look great but load quickly.

I also like the fact that the Today screen now offers one-click access to all connections via the Comm Manager – a simple screen (see image below left) where you can quickly enable Airplane Mode or turn On/Off your Phone, Bluetooth, WiFi, Microsoft Direct Push and Data Connection as well as gain access to further Settings for your Phone, Bluetooth and Wireless Lan.

WiFi – 10/10
If for any reason you’re not within reach of a good wireless data connection the Treo Pro offers an excellent and rather powerful 802.11b/g WiFi implementation. I was particularly impressed to experience just how good and steady the built-in WiFi range is. I had no problem connecting to my own router or other public networks and the WiFi settings have pretty much every authentication and data encryption protocol that you will ever need. There’s even a Power Save Mode setting within WiFi Prefs where you can choose between Best Performance (range) or Best Battery optimization.Additionally, the dedicated WiFi button on the right side of your Treo Pro significantly extends the overall simplicity of using and accessing WiFi networks. You just press the button once to quickly switch WiFi On/Off or press+hold to open your Wireless Networks settings screen.

GPS – 9/10
The Treo Pro doesn’t stop at just having a fast processor, fast 3G data and fast WiFi as it now also offers a built-in GPS receiver that you can use with either the bundled TeleNav software or Google Maps as well as any third-party on-board GPS Navigation software such as CoPilot Live 7.

There’s also another bundled program called QuickGPS that can speed up the time for determining your GPS position by downloading the latest satellite data via an Internet connection (3G, WiFi or ActiveSync).I haven’t yet been able to fully test either TeleNav or CoPilot Live but for now at least I can tell you that Google Maps is a joy to use – particularly the way that it’s now been fully integrated with your Contacts to be able to get driving directions. I use Google Maps so frequently that I would ideally love to add a search box to my Today screen but I haven’t quite figured out how to do that yet.

Memory – 8.5/10
I must have installed some twenty third-party programs on my Treo Pro so far and I still have some 30MB of storage free (out of a total 105MB user available) plus naturally I still get plenty more storage space via my 8GB microSDHC memory card.

At the same time, with 128MB RAM the Program Memory can withstand to simultaneously open pretty much any number of applications that you want. I haven’t yet had a single occasion where my Treo Pro became unresponsive for any reason due to lack of memory. Additionally, Palm has implemented a rather convenient Task Manager in the top right corner of your Today screen (screenshot above right) from where you can quickly completely exit any open applications.

The only reason I haven’t awarded the Memory a higher rating is that I think that by now Palm could have gone the extra mile by adding at least 512MB or even 1GB of on-board memory. Having said this, as I mentioned before the microSDHC slot nonetheless provides plenty of extra storage space.

Modem – 9/10
If you happen to subscrible to an unlimited data plan and are frequently in range of a UMTS/HSDPA wireless data connection you’ll be happy to know that your Treo Pro can also double as a high-speed modem for your laptop while on the go (via your USB cable or Bluetooth).

I haven’t fully tested this yet but based on previous experience data connectivity provided by my Treo smartphone to my laptop has always proven very good.

Bluetooth 2.0 and A2DP – 8.5/10
Given the increasing number of Treo Bluetooth accessories that are part of my kit I was naturally very curious to find out just how well the Treo Pro would perform when paired with these.

The number one priority was ensuring flawless compatibility with my New Jawbone Bluetooth headset which the Treo Pro gladly quickly did – delivering both excellent sound and volume for both inbound and outbound calls.

Next was the matter of Bluetooth Stereo Headphones and ensuring that my Motorola S9 would work properly during my morning runs as well as the slightly more complex issue of ensuring compatibility with Bluetooth Stereo Speakers such as the stunning BlueAnt M1 Stereo Speakers and Motorola EQ5 that I recently reviewed (here and here respectively). [Please also read my Bluetooth Stereo Roundup for an in-depth overview.]

My experience with A2DP wireless audio specifically on the Treo Pro is that it works flawlessly (no stuttering or breaking) when playing either on-board music files or using your wireless data connection (3G, EDGE, GPRS) or ActiveSync connection for streaming audio. However, if you try to use A2DP with a streaming audio via WiFi there appears to be quite a bit of stutter – it’s a shame because I rather enjoy listening to streaming radio over my Bluetooth Stereo Speakers.

I guess that asking the Treo Pro processor to simultaneously keep a WiFi connection + Bluetooth A2DP + audio playback is just a little bit too much but at least it works superbly well – ultracrisp and clear – with either normal playback or streaming audio/video via your wireless data connection or ActiveSync.

Camera & Video – 9.5/10
Aside from the fact that Palm has now upgraded the camera to 2.0 megapixels resolution the actual camera software is also much improved. For starters aside from the normal camera and video capture modes you also get MMS video, Contact Picture, Picture Theme (which collages three images together to form a panorama), Sport (to capture fast moving action with five rapid shots focusing on a moving target) and also a Burst mode (seven capture modes in total). Among others, the new camera software offers one-touch access via an on-screen button at the bottom center of the camera screen (image above right) to quickly change the resolution, white balance, brightness, storage and self-timer (image below left).There are even more adjustments that can be made via an on-screen Capture Settings including Effects (such as Sepia or Grayscale), Metering Mode, Shutter Sound and more. I have to admit that I wish that some of the functions found here were available on my high-end digital camera and I can’t be happier with what’s offered here. Virtually the only thing missing is a flash with the camera for evening or low-light situations.

Wireless Radio – 9.5/10
Palm may have crammed all of these specs into an ultraslim, ultrasmall and light body but it has certainly not affected the performance of its radio – on the contrary I think that it’s one of the best that I’ve owned to date providing me with better reception even in areas that I previously considered to be weak spots.

With an HSDPA/UMTS/EDGE/GPRS/GSM radio that offers Tri-band UMTS (850MHz, 1900MHz, 2100MHz) and Quad-band GSM (850/900/1800/1900) there are certainly few if any remote corners of the world where you won’t be able to use your Treo Pro.

Here again I also found the integration of hardware and software on Palm’s part to be very good. Not only is the easily accessible Comm Manager within a couple of clicks away to manage your connections but pressing+holding the new Power button at the top of your smartphone now also quickly and conveniently closes virtually all connections (Phone, Data, WiFi, etc.).

Quick Treo Pro Specs:

* Platform: Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional Edition
* Processor: Qualcomm MSM7201 400MHz
* Display: 320x320 transflective color TFT touchscreen
* Radio: HSDPA/UMTS/EDGE/GPRS/GSM radio
Tri-band UMTS — 850MHz, 1900MHz, 2100MHz
Quad-band GSM — 850/900/1800/1900
* Wi-Fi: 802.11b/g with WPA, WPA2, and 801.1x authentication
* GPS: Built-in GPS (standalone and assisted)
* Bluetooth wireless technology: Version 2.0 + Enhanced data rate (with Stereo Bluetooth capabilities)
* Memory: 256MB storage (100MB user available), 128MB RAM
* Camera: 2.0 megapixels, up to 8x digital zoom and video capture
* Battery: Removable, rechargeable 1500mAh lithium-ion battery (up to 5.0 hours talk time and up to 250 hours standby)
* Expansion: microSD cards (up to 32GB supported)
* Connector: MicroUSB 2.0 for synchronization and charging
* Audio: 3.5mm stereo headset jack
* Dimensions: 2.36” (W) x 4.49” (L) x 0.53” (D); weighs 4.69 oz
60mm (W) x 113mm (L) x 14mm (D); weighs 132 grams

Conclusion
As you will have been able to appreciate from this review of the Treo Pro specifications it’s been nearly impossible for me to find a real and major fault anywhere on this smartphone. Sure we could always want more (a bigger screen, more memory, an even bigger keyboard, etc.) but when it comes to these specs there really is no doubt that Palm has spared no detail or expense to ensure that it delivers a truly superior high-end business smartphone.

I have no doubt that like me many people will eventually find that these superb Treo Pro specs combined with a truly stunning body design far outweighs any of the real or perceived limitations (increasingly few) that Windows Mobile might have.

Separately, if you haven’t really done so please cast your vote in our poll below and share your views with your fellow Treonauts – most of whom are already finding the Treo Pro “super hot”.